La Liga said on Wednesday that Barcelona did not have the financial capacity to register players Dani Olmo and Pau Victor and still lack it, ahead of a decision by Spain’s sports council (CSD) over the duo’s eligibility to play.
In January, Barcelona announced a deal had been reached to sell VIP boxes at the club’s Camp Nou stadium, currently being rebuilt, worth a reported 100 million euros ($108 million), which gave them the financial fair play room for new licences for the players.
La Liga said Barcelona used an unnamed auditor between December 31 and January 3, which recorded the deal on the club’s books, but their current auditor no longer includes it in the club’s interim financial statements for the first part of the 2024-25 season.
“No amount from the (VIP box deal) is ultimately recorded in the profit and loss accounts, contrary to what had been certified by the club and the auditor at the time of said transaction,” said La Liga in a statement.
Bayo Ojulari; 10 Quick Facts About NNPC Ltd New GCEO
Nigeria Mulls Drill Or Drop Policy For Shell, TotalEnergies, Chevron, Others
La Liga said they were reporting the auditor Barcelona used between December 31 and January 3 to the Accounting and Auditing Institute.
“Barcelona… did not have on December 31, 2024, or on January 3, 2025, nor has it had since that date, nor does it currently have (the financial fair play capacity) for the registration of the players Dani Olmo and Pau Victor,” continued La Liga’s statement.
Platforms Africa